As a New York Times Best Selling Author, Damon Vickers has developed the necessary skills and knowledge base to create an impactful book that brings interest to a large number of people.
It is an undeniable truth that everyone harbors a lifelong ambition to one day write their own book. Studies have shown that 82% of people around the world want to write a book but regrettably only few have ever achieved that goal.
Motivations to write a book among people differs, you might want to write to share a life experience, to educate people on a particular subject, to popularize your products if you’re into business or to fulfill a lifelong ambition of writing a book. No matter what your motivation for writing a book is, it is important to note that writing a book might be a mammoth task that requires efficiency and determination. Many people embark on the this beautiful journey of book writing, while some others never do dare do it, giving various excuses for their inability to pursue their ambition. Understandably, doubts and fear may set in but writing a book affords you numerous benefits which will in turn have a positive impact on your life.
To help others, achieve their goals in writing successful pieces of literature, Damon Vickers has offered his input below based on his past experiences, early career, successes, and failures.
Benefits of writing a book
- Writing a book will ultimately inspire you. Book writing will give you the chance to express your imagination and creativity.
- Writing a book will give you an expert status. You will be view as an expert in the subject you wrote about. This will give you authority on that subject, and will ultimately open doors to numerous opportunities.
- As a business owner, writing a book will help you increase your brand credibility and business reputation. As an author and a proven expert in your area, customers and your business partners will have enormous respect for you and take you into account frequently because people prefer to transact business with someone evidently proven in his/her field area.
- Excerpts from your book can be used by people to create website content, blog posts, newspaper and social media posts. This would effectively impact your business positively, and also help you get online recognition. After publishing his book, The Day After The Dollar Crashes, Damon Vickers was interviewed by the International Business Times and many other relevant media platforms in his industry.
- Being a book author opens up an avenue for you to speak at public lectures and conferences, because you have proven you’re an expert in that field through your successful book, you will get numerous opportunities to share your experience with others. This will ultimately build your confidence and earn you enormous respect from people.
- Writing a book enables you leave a legacy. As humans our works are remember for years even long when we are gone. There are thousands of books written by late authors who have used their book in one way or the other to impact people of all works of life. This is called leaving a legacy, you too as an author can leave a legacy by writing a book which will speak for you for years and generations to come.
The most applicable steps to write a book.
As stated above writing a book can turn out to be a monumental task, like something akin to climbing Mount Everest. But anything is possible, if man can ultimately land on moon, you can definitely write a book, all you need is to follow the right steps, and below are the most applicable steps you can follow to achieve that lifelong ambition of writing your own book.
Start to write and commit yourself.
If you really want to write a book, brave the odds by simply writing the first draft (chapter). This might be a rough summary of your book, or it might actually be the first chapter of the actual book, the most important thing to remember is to start to write. “Well begun is half done” a chapter might be the ultimate inspiration to that best seller of yours waiting to happen, you need not be put off by the difficulty of writing your book, just remember that with enormous commitment to the cause, you will definitely have your final manuscripts before you know it.
Figure out what you are writing about.
What is the theme of your book? What are you planning to use it to achieve? How can it impact it lives of your target readers? This are the important questions you need to ask yourself when planning to write your book. A book without a good theme is like an American football team without a quarterback. You need to have a theme that will make your book worth reading, examples of a theme can be love and friendship, taking risks for the sake of saving a relationship, or getting a healthy gut through healthy eating.
It is inevitable that at some point in the process of writing your book you will need to figure out what the theme of your book is (what your book is about) why are you think people will want to read it. Once you figure your theme you can move to the next step of writing your book.
When Damon Vickers began writing The Day After The Dollar Crashes, he thought about ways he could educate people on the topic he was pursuing in a way that was interesting and entertaining.
Research and read similar books.
If you are serious about writing your own book, you must learn and develop the altitude of reading and researching. You need to read similar books with the same theme as yours to garner ideas on how you will write yours and you need to research on your topic to garner information which will play an enormous role in make your writing journey easier. “Information is wealth”, you might be intelligent enough to write your book without researching but it will do you more well to garner information from other credible sources and read similar books to yours, this will equip you for the long demanding process of writing a book. Below are some researching tools which will give you, ideas to write your own book:
- Magazines. Numerous magazines have great contents which will impact your writing, take time out of your schedule to read magazines which have educative and informative contents, in the long run your writing skills will improve and you will get great ideas for your own book.
- Articles. There are thousands of educative and informative articles scattered across different online websites and blogsites that can have positive impact in you as a writer. Reading numerous articles will broaden your knowledge and give you great ideas and credible information to write your own book.
- University studies. This is a great tool for research, with credible study papers from great universities you will have a credible source of great contents for your books.
- Videos. There are numerous videos with great contents that are educative and informative. It will be of help to you if you can watch these sort of videos because you get numerous information for your book.
- Asking people questions from surveys and polls. This is an exceptional way to get information to write your book, when you ask different people questions you will be getting a credible source for informative contents which will impact positively in your writing.
- Forums. Joining forums might also be of enormous help to you. Great forums like writers’ forums, book lovers’ forums, book readers’ forum, book publishers’ forum are great source of credible informative contents for your book.
The writing Process: Write! Write! Write! Then suffer.
One of the most painful and challenging aspects of book writing for Damon Vickers is getting through long days of writing page after page without losing energy and motivation.
Here the main process of writing a book begins, this is the most critical step of writing a book because this is the stage where “the men are separated from the boys”. Motivate yourself from the onset of the process by being optimistic of writing your book, start your book writing process with the following outline tips:
- Getting your book tittle and subtitles. Take time out first to develop the tittle and subtitles of your book. Without a tittle, you don’t have a realistic book and a subtitle which is mainly used for non-friction writing. Now it is time to write the title of your book, get a pen and a journal, jot down any ideas that comes to mind, research for nice keywords online (this is a great way to get a book title, the Google search engine is a good tool for online research). Another great way to get book titles and subtitles ideas is by asking people from either your forums or close friends.
- Get your chapters titles. Chapter titles are the perfect guide you need to write your book. Your chapter titles needs to be short and straight to the point to catch the interest of your future readers. Coming up with chapters titles might be quite demanding but with a good research on your book theme, you will surely come up with chapter titles for your book, but note that it is important not to use someone else’s ideas or use trademarks or slogans.
- Develop chapter outlines. After getting your chapter titles, it is now time to start developing your chapter outlines. This is an integral process in book writing because here you will be outlining the important points and purpose of each chapters.
- Schedule your time. Making out time to write from your busy schedule is vital to the completion of your book. There are 24 hours in each of the 7 days of the week, you can schedule writing hours out of the 24 hours you have per day to write your book. You can learn to wake up earlier in the morning to do some writing before heading to work.
- Keep a journal handy. “No man is an Island of knowledge”, as a writer it is necessary to keep a journal and a pen at hand to jot down ideas you get. This will help you develop great contents for your book.
- Read your chapters over before moving to the next one. This will help you keep up with the flow of your writing, spot little mistakes and keep you interested in writing the next chapter.
- Design the book cover. Designing the book cover of your book is important because the book cover is the first contact between your book and a potential reader. You can design your book cover yourself if you have experience in designing or your hire a professional designer.
Writing a book requires the ability to endure suffering sleepless nights, long hours of writing and reading, skipping your favourite hobbies and inevitably at some point you might develop a breakdown but with a little perseverance your ultimate goal will be achieved.
Proofreading & Editing.
Damon Vickers refers to the proofreading and editing stage as the light at the end of the tunnel.
Now that you have your final draft or manuscript completed and those tedious hours spent writing finally over. The next important step to take is to proofread & edit your manuscript. Proofreading will save you the shame of have a manuscript full of mistakes and errors, the process comes handy in spotting numerous errors like grammatical errors, misspelt words, uncompleted sentences, poor language structure, wrong usage of pronoun, verb and adjectives. Proofreading & editing is important and a necessity when writing your book, you can’t simply skip this process, because it prepares your book for the most important stage of book writing (publishing).
As the author please it is best advised not to do the proofreading & editing yourself. You will repeat the same mistakes all over again, simply hire the services of a professional to proofread & edit your book. With a professional, you get a professionally proofread and edited work, you can find professionals at various online freelancers’ sites like Fiverr, Elance, Upwork and Freelancers or you can simply ask a friend who is an author to assist you with proofreading your book.
Publishing your book
Your hard work has finally paid off, your book is read for publishing congratulations because few get to this process of book writing. There are two main routes to publish your books: traditional publishing or self-publishing. It is best advised to carefully consider this two options before choosing a route to publish your book.
When choosing traditional publishing, you are advised to do a thorough research of the best publishing company for your book. Every aspect of publishing is up to the publisher; so you must get the best deal for your book.
I will best advise you choose self-publishing because you the author makes the call and the growing market of online book stores (online sites where you can sell your books) is another huge benefit of self-publishing. Amazon is a great market to sell your book, you will need first format your book to Amazon’s kindle format before selling them on Amazon.
Writing a book is an ambition 8 in every 10 human wants to achieve but unfortunately most of them are discouraged by the mammoth nature of the task. But with a considerable level of determination, zeal and a will to suffer, your dream of writing your own book will be actualized. Many people around the world have braved the odds and now own a book of their own. You can be one of this reputable individuals, all you need to do is apply the enormously helpful steps/processes outlined above and you will have your book ready for publication.
While the process is long and challenging, Damon Vickers finds writing a book to be one of the most rewarding experiences of his career.